NEW SB1+ MODEL SUPPORTS PROGRESSIVE FRAME RATES…
The StereoBrain Processor is a 3D HD video processing unit developed for use in stereoscopic 3D Production, Post-Production and Broadcast. This new product from Inition and NuMedia Technology provides a range of broadcast-quality video processing units capable of handling many of the essential functions required when shooting stereoscopic 3D.
The SB1+ model is designed to allow live viewing of a stereoscopic camera pair or other genlocked 3D video source on any of the current breed of 3D televisions (e.g. LG, JVC, Hyundai, Samsung). This enables live 3D monitoring or 3D viewing in post-production environments from any 3D pair of HD-SDI sources. The SB1+ also outputs the pair of images via a single DVI/HDMI signal in frame packing, interlaced, side-by-side, or any number of other formats (see full list below). It can also output anaglyph and overlaid left/right on a standard 2D HD monitor. Both side-by-side and mirror/beam-splitter rigs are supported, the latter with horizontal and vertical flip functions available on both left and right inputs.
Also, check out our StereoBrain calculator – a handy software tool for 3D film-makers. Free trial download available.
StereoBrain Processor Applications
Mounted on a beam-splitter rig, the StereoBrain can provide all the necessary monitoring modes for both the Camera Operator and the 3D Rig Technician. Commonly, one of the two HD-SDI outputs would be programmed to provide a flipped (where necessary) 2D feed from the master camera. Meanwhile, the second output would be outputting an Anaglyph feed, again to a standard 2D monitor, that the Rig Tech can use for alignment.
Away from the rig, the StereoBrain provides a crucial range of monitoring modes for the Stereographer. It can simultaneously output a feed over the DVI/HDMI to a 3D TV and, for example, Difference Matte and Side-by-Side feeds over the HD-SDI connections to ensure that the Stereographer is given the widest possible range of information.
- In Post
Stereo-capable Online suites will commonly output left and right feeds over HD-SDI. Using a StereoBrain in this environment can free up functionality/resources and present the Online operator with the widest possible variety of tools. Commonly, the StereoBrain will be setup to output over DVI/HDMI to a 3D TV and the HD-SDI outputs will be configured to provide the operator with a Side-by-Side view (for colour matching of left eye/right eye grades on a Reference monitor) and Difference Matte or Anaglyph (for alignment on a standard 2D monitor).
- In Post
- Live 3D Projection
The StereoBrain can be used to monitor a pair of HD-SDI camera feeds on an active projector such as the Christie Mirage range, making it an essential tool for live events. (Requires a projector that accepts a 3D sync input and the SBA-5 output accessory)
- Live 3D Projection
2 x HD-SDI (Please note: all inputs must be gen-locked)
2 x HD-SDI, 1 x DVI/HDMI (all three outputs can be configured independently)
Signal Formats Processed:
720p23.98, 720p24, 720p25, 720p29.97, 720p30, 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60
1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60
1080PsF23.98, 1080PsF24, 1080PsF25, 1080PsF29.97, 1080PsF30
1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30
- Inputs may be flipped/flopped independently when shooting with a mirror/beam-splitter rig.
- Configuration panel accessed via web interface and network socket compatible with all major web browsers.
- Use standard 2D monitors (on HD-SDI or DVI) for monitoring 3D camera sources using either Anaglyph, 50/50 Overlay, or Subtractive (Difference matte).
- Convergence can be controlled via the interface for shooting in parrallel configurations
Power: Connector: locking 2.1mm jack. Power: 10W Max, external 12V PSU
- Inition’s 2010 production of the live Six Nations Rugby 3D broadcast utilised the StereoBrain for monitoring in the OB vehicle. A key component for the stereographer, the StereoBrain offered three simultaneous outputs for live monitoring. In the video above you will see the StereoBrain 3D Processor providing a 3DHD image to a JVC 46″ 3D Monitor (GD-463D10E) and an anaglyph and difference image being shown on two professional HD-SDI 2D monitors. This gives the stereographer the ability to monitor all technical aspects of the broadcast while the director and OB team work alongside in their regular roles.
- Seven StereoBrains were used during the live broadcast of Keane from Abbey Road Studios (3 for mirror flipping one channel from the 3 mirror rigs, two for live and preview monitoring on 3D TVs and one for mobile monitoring on the camera floor).